Photo via NeilsPhotography (Flickr CC)
*peeks out from writing cave* *blinks* Wow, there's light out there. And people.
Writing Update: How is it Friday already? I think I missed a couple of days this week. I've been trying to write with the Fast Draft mentality this week (not true fast draft of 5k a day, but writing without obsessing and going back constantly to fix stuff.) It's definitely not my natural state and I get walloped with the anxiety of it all at least once a day--what if I'm going in the wrong direction, what if I'm writing all these words that won't be used, etc. Ack. But so far, I haven't gone back, and in the last three days I've written about 7k words, which is a decent pace. Hopefully they're mostly the right words. We'll see.
Book Update: There will be official announcements coming soon, but I did get a couple of good news things this week. All I'll say for now is that it looks like you'll be getting stories from The Ranch for a while to come. : )
All right, now on to the best links I've come across this week...
- MuseInks: The Genre-Free Writer: Looking for the Common Thread
- The perils of paid-for reviews via Dear Author
- start your novel: What Can Writer's Block Teach You About Writing?
- Got Writer’s Block? You just need to care less! | How To Write Shop (There is absolutely NO reason why I have a few articles on writer's block listed this week. *cough*)
- Muse, Rant, Rave: Dig Deep for NYT Writing! – Guest Post by Margie Lawson
- Immersion Master Class with Margie Lawson: Part One — Guest: Melinda Collins via Jami Gold and Margie Lawson Extravaganza (Part 2!) via The Bookshelf Muse
- Amazon delves into book subscriptions with Kindle Serials | Internet & Media - CNET News
- Your Plot Moves Too Slowly ~ 5 Tips To Help Improve Your Story’s Pacing via Writers in the Storm
- Wordplay: Helping Writers Become Authors: Is Your Scene Break a Lying, Cheating Fraud?
- YA Author Elana Johnson: Eliminating Doubt
- 7 tips for keeping your motivation as a writer via Nail Your Novel
On Social Media/Promotion:
- How to Run a Website Contest (without going to jail) « Courtney Milan’s Blog <--A must read. I had no idea.
- The Innocent Flower: When You Can't Hack It As An Author
- 5 Ways Writers Can Get the Most Out of Goodreads | WritersDigest.com
- Seeing Creative: Discovering Your Author Brand via Stina Lindenblatt
- Social Clear-Cutting–Can Our Social Media Behaviors Destroy Our Social Environment? « Kristen Lamb's Blog
- Do Giveaways Work? via The Kill Zone
- Drive Traffic to Your Website Or Social Media Sites? (7 Things A Writer Should Know) via WordServe Watercooler
What You May Have Missed Here:
For Gits and Shiggles:
- 2012 BTCA finalists <--Want to know what crazy deep-fried concoctions have finaled for this year's Texas State Fair? I think the deep-fried cinnamon roll with bacon is going to be the one I get in line for.
All right, that's what I've got for this week. How has your week been? Hope y'all have a great weekend!
CAUGHT UP IN YOU is now available!
All content except images and videos copyright of the author unless otherwise noted. Please ask permission before re-printing or re-posting. Fair use quotations and links do no require prior consent of the author. ©Roni Loren 2009-2013
*For full photo disclaimer, please see the bottom of the page.