Friday I blogged about opening lines and pages and their importance. (Thanks for those who gave feedback on my lines, btw!) Based on the comments I received, I am clearly not the only one who freaks out over openings. This, of course, sent me to my piles of writing books to see what the pros had to say about the opening scene.
1. A challenge to your protagonist's status quo.
2. An antagonist for your character to encounter. (Doesn't have to be THE antagonist.)
3. Introduce your protagonist's immediate intentions.
4. A glimpse into your MC's history/personality/motivation.
5. The protagonist makes a decision that leads immediately to more complications.